Australian Visa options

As there is an extensive list of Australian visas, choosing the right visa category can be vital to the success of your application. If your application relates to skilled visas it is also important to specify the correct occupational category that relates to your occupation. Our specialist consultants will discuss your case with you to understand your migration situation and help you to select the right visa or occupation in the skilled category. For those applicants who intend to migrate under other family visas, business visas, last remaining, parent visas, Spouse visas, retirement visas, visitor visas or for those whose application may have been declined and require us to appeal their case, our specialist migration consultants can provide advice and further service after browsing through your individual needs and cases.

For further information and advice please visit our contact us page or alternatively email us at [email protected]
The most common visas in Australia are as follows , please click the link for further information on each visa:

Visitor visa

Skilled migration visa

New Zealand citizen visas

Business Visa

Partner Visa

Employer nomination migration

Investor Retirement visa

Family visa

Refugee and humanitarian visa

Student visas

Former residence visa

Distinguished talent visa

Resident return visa

Absorbed person visa

Bridging visa

Temporary Worker visa

Medical Treatment Visa



Visitor Visa

There are numerous visas available for people who wish to visit Australia temporarily.

  • Tourist Visas (subclass 676)
  • Sponsored family visitor (subclass 679)
  • Electronic travel authority (subclass e676
  • Medical treatment (short stay)
  • Medical treatment (long stay)
  • Sponsored Business Visitors (short stay ) (subclass 459)

The eligibility for these visas may vary for individual circumstances. Certain factors, such as: family visits, holidays, your health and character, duration of stay, genuine visits and adequate funds will be taken into consideration; it is important to consult with our specialists for these factors to be discussed before a visa is submitted. It is also possible for certain visitor visas to be appealed or reviewed and at AusMigration we specialize on all kinds of visas and appeals. [TOP]

Skilled Migration Visa

General skilled migration is the largest component of the skills stream of Australia’s immigration program and is the largest single component of the Australian migration program. Skilled visas requires all applicants to meet certain basic or threshold criteria such as

  • Skilled assessment in a nominated occupation on the skilled occupation list (SOL)
  • Age, generally applicants must be aged between 18 and 44
  • English language ability, some applicants will need to sit for formal English language testing e.g IELTS
  • Employment experience in a skilled occupation
  • Applicants need to have a certain passing mark to succeed

The common skilled categories are

  • independent (no sponsorship required),
  • sponsored (sponsorship by a relative or nominated by a state or territory government),
  • regional sponsored (sponsorship by a relative usually resident in a designated area or nominated by state or territory government),
  • graduate (visa for international students who have completed two years study in Australia)
  • Recognized graduate (Visa for recent graduates from overseas universities)

Most skilled subclasses of visa require the applicant to undergo a formal assessment to ensure that their skills are suitable for migration to Australia in a skilled occupation list (SOL). Applicants must nominate a skilled occupation which has been positively assessed for them to make a valid visa application. Here at AusMigration, we specialize in skills assessment for a majority of occupations on the SOL list and we know first hand the required criteria for each occupation assessment by individual assessment bodies in Australia.[TOP]

New Zealand Citizen Visa

New Zealand citizens have a special status in Australia in that, as a SCV (special category visa) holder they can live and work in Australia for as long as they remain a New Zealand citizen. However they are no longer necessarily treated as a permanent residence and what entitlements they have will depend on their status in Australia. On 26th February 2001 a new bilateral social security arrangement between the two countries was announced with the results that there are now two categories of new Zealand citizens in Australia

  • Eligible New Zealand citizens (ENZ citizens)
  • All other new Zealand citizens

Please contact us and discuss your particular situation to assess which category do you or your relative fall under and whether they can receive social security payments, sponsor family members, or obtain Australian citizenship. Additionally a New Zealand Citizen already living in Australia (but without being a resident or Citizen of Australia may need to sponsor his/her spouse and at AusMigration, we specialize on these advise and related process and visas).[TOP]

Business Visa

The business skills visa category is part of the skill stream of the migration program. The business skills category caters for business people who:

  • Are owners (or part owners) of businesses, senior executives or employed by major business or business employees with a high level of managerial skills
  • Have a substantial business or investment background and are willing to make a substantial investment in state or territory securities
  • Hold certain provisional/temporary visas who have established a business in Australia

Within each category of business visas there are visas for people who apply independently and visas for people who are sponsored by Australian state or territory government regional authorities. Whatever your case, AusMigration expert consultants with intense business migration background will be willing to discuss your individual business migration requirements.[TOP]

Partner Visa

There are permanent and provisional visas where eligibility is based on the applicant being the partner or a de facto of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen (ENZ). This may include applicants who are engaged, formerly married, in a de facto relationship or in an interdependent relationship with the Australia/ENZ citizen sponsor. The following is a list of some of the common permanent and provisional partner visas:

  • Prospective marriage (also known as the fiancé visa)
  • Spouse (provisional)
  • Spouse (permanent)
  • Spouse (temporary)
  • Interdependency (provisional)
  • Interdependency(permanent)
  • Interdependency (temporary)

Some family members of an applicant for a partner visa may also make a combined application on the same application. Please contact our specialist consultants to discuss your particular case. At AusMigration, we fully understand your individual circumstances and our advice and services further extends to those cases where, after obtaining a provisional spouse visa, an applicant may be subjected to a Domestic Violence in which case our consultants can still advise or submit your case for continuance of your permanent residence. Please ask us for further advise and the required legislative criteria.[TOP]

Employer Nomination Visa

These visas allow Australian employers to nominate skilled workers from overseas for permanent residence in Australia. Usually there are three categories in these visas

  • Employer nomination scheme (ENS)
  • Regional sponsored migration scheme (RSMS)
  • Labor agreements (LAS)

The program, invest Australia supported skills (IASS) allows international companies or corporations to transfer key managerial and specialist personnel to Australia on permanent visas. If nominated by an employer in the IASS program the applicant can apply for a labor agreement visa. In brief, below is a list of visa classes and sub classes within each category
Employer nomination (Migrant) (Class AN)

  • Employer nomination scheme ,subclass 121
  • Regional sponsored migration scheme , subclass 119

Employer nomination (Residence) (Class VW)

  • Employer nomination scheme, subclass 856
  • Regional sponsored migration scheme, subclass 857

Labor agreement (Migrant) (Class AU)

  • Labor agreement , subclass 120

Labor Agreement (Residence) (Class BB)

  • Labor agreement, subclass 855

Mostly all visas covered in this section are PERMANENT visas allowing the applicant to remain in or travel to and enter Australia for five years from the date of grant. The applicant may remain in Australia indefinitely, however if the applicant intends to travel and re-enter Australia after the five year period they must either become Australia citizen or apply for another visa such as resident return visa.[TOP]

Investor retirement visa

This visa is for elder people without dependants (other than a spouse) and who have significant assets to invest in Australia. It is a four year visa; however, it can be “rolled over” to a further investor retirement visa for another four years. The basic criteria is that the applicant must be at least 55 years old for the initial investor retirement visa and the applicant has to be sponsored by an appropriate regional authority. Please discuss with our expert team of Migration Consultants who can advise you further.[TOP]

Family Visa

Family visas are based on having a family in Australia who would be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen and who would be willing to sponsor the applicant. Please remember there is no automatic “right” for family members of Australians to migrate to Australia. Like all visa applicants, the eligibility of family members to travel to, enter or remain in Australia, whether temporarily or permanently, is based on complex eligibility criteria. The following are some of the main types of visas in this category

  • Child Visas
  • Adoption Visas
  • Orphan Relative Visa
  • Dependent children
  • Carer visas
  • Remaining relative visa
  • Aged dependent relative visa
  • Parent Visas

Whatever you case or situation may be, our consultants shall advise and work out your family visa strategies.[TOP]

Refugee and Humanitarian Visa

These visas are for applicants who are seeking resettlement in a safe country. Australia is a signatory to the United Nations 1951 Geneva convention relating to the status of refugees as amended by its 1967 protocol (refugees convention). Under the refugees convention, Australia has an international obligation not to send back a refugee to return to where they are at risk of persecution and, therefore, to give protection to people who are in Australia and who meet the definition of a “refugee”.

Who is a “Refugee”?

Under the refugee’s convention a refugee is a person who:
“Owing to a well founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership on a particular social group or political opinion, is outside the country of his/her nationality and is unable or, owing to such fear is unwilling to avail himself of the protection of that country, or who, not having a nationality and being outside the country of his/her former habitual residence, is unable or owing to such fear, is unwilling to return to it”.
This definition comes from Article 1A of the refugees convention.
Please note if the applicant applies from outside Australia the following are the applicable visas

  • Permanent refugee and humanitarian visa
  • Refugee visa
  • In country special humanitarian visa
  • Global special humanitarian visa
  • Emergency rescue visa
  • Woman at risk visa
  • Temporary secondary movement visas
  • Secondary movement relocation (Temporary visa)
  • Secondary movement offshore entry (Temporary visa)

If the applicant applies from within Australia the following visas are applicable

  • Protection (Permanent visa)
  • Temporary protection visa
  • Territorial asylum visa
  • Return pending visa

AusMigration has a wealth of experience and knowledge with the Refugee and Humanitarian visas, submission, advisc and appeals so please check with us first.[TOP]

Student Visa

The student visas are available to applicants who wish to study in Australia and also for guardians for overseas students studying in Australia. For more information on student visa and our additional student services please refer to our separate student page

Former Residence Visa

This visa is for people who may have spent a large part of their childhood in Australia as a permanent resident and are now intending to migrate back or resume their permanent residence status under this category.[TOP]

Distinguished Talent Visa

This visa is for exceptionally talented people who have an outstanding, internationally recognized record of achievement in their field or who have provided specialized assistance to the Australian government in security matters.[TOP]

Resident Return Visa

This visa is for those applicants who were a former resident of Australia but their re-entry has expired. Former Australia permanent residents and Australian citizens who have lost or renounced their Australia citizenship can also apply for resident return visas. Permanent residents who remain overseas for more than five years at a time may not be able to get another resident return visa unless they have substantial business, cultural, employment or personal ties with Australia and they have “compelling reasons” for their absence. If your case relates to these situations, please ask us for advice first.[TOP]

Absorbed Person Visa

People who have been unlawfully in Australia (or overstayed their visa) for a long time can apply for an absorbed person visa. [TOP]

Bridging Visa

A bridging visa is a temporary visa giving a person permission to remain in Australia for a specified time. Usually there are seven different classes of bridging visas, this depends on a broad description of the circumstances of the applicant. Whether one needs to check, apply, seek work rights or intend to travel overseas (whilst on business visa), please contact our expert Consultants at AusMigration.[TOP]

Temporary Worker Visa

There are many temporary visas which have work rights, such as

  • Business visitor visa - This visa allows a stay of up to three months, to conduct business activities in Australia with limited work rights
  • Holiday/work visas – These visas allow a stay of up to twelve months for the primary purpose to visit Australia for tourism with incidental work for example, working holiday visa, work and holiday visa, special program visa.
  • Training/work visas – This visa allows the applicant to travel to Australia for a specific work based training course nominated by an Australian organization. This includes occupational trainee visa, professional development visa.
  • Business long stay visa – This visa allows a stay of between three months to four years where the applicant is sponsored by a business to fill a specific position in Australia, usually related to skilled occupations where the business or employer has not been able to locate a suitable person in Australia.

Please contact AusMigration and ask for our 457 workers visa specialist for further information and advice. We may already have certain approved employers looking to employ you on work visas or depending in your particular case, we can discuss and submit the full case from getting the employers approved to hire overseas worker ,to nominating a position and the full visa process for you. Some 457 workers who are already in Australia may require further advise if they may be going through some tough time (such as problems with their employers) or may be intending to change employers so contact our expert consultants on these matters. Employers in Australia can also contact us if they intend to hire overseas workers for their companies. Indeed, our Worker Visa section at AusMigration has a list of employers seeking relevant overseas staff and we also have list of “hand picked” well scrutinized and selected qualified workers from all aspects of occupations from all over the world in our special list which can be referred to individual employers.[TOP]

Medical Treatment Visa

These visas are intended for people wanting to come to Australia for the purpose of medical treatment or a related purpose. There is a short stay MTV and long stay MTV. These may relate to:

  • Undertake medical treatment, including consultation
  • Receive an organ transplant
  • Donate an organ
  • Accompany a person in any of the above situations